Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ode to a table

I did this one a while ago but I figured it would be fun to show.
We were in need of a Large table for our family. My husband has a sister and brother each
with four kids so we needed something that would seat alot of people for family dinner but didn't want to spend much.
I found this table on craigslist for $25. It was a little dated and rough but I had a picture in my head of what it could be.
One thing to keep in mind with furniture is that it is cheaper to buy something ugly and make it your own then pay someone else to do it, and there is a scense of accomplishment. And if you are like me, you are fine cutting a few corners (I didn't sand it before I painted), It will go faster and if you buy good durable paint it won't be a problem.
I knew I wanted to replace the glass with mosaic (which by the way is a lot easier than you think) , and paint the table. Painting makes it easy to match chairs if you are into matching. I just painted all the wood chairs the same black as the table. I also covered them with fabric and waterproof plastic that you can find at Joans or any large fabric store. This makes it easy to wipe down and you can change out the color when you want to redo things.
I spent a little $ on the grout for the mosaic and got the glass free from my sister in law.
You can use a lot of things (broken dishes, rocks, marbles). With glass you just need to make sure you file down the edges so they won't cut someone reaching across the table for more potatoes. You also want to make sure for a dinning table or any sort of surface that is a usable space that it ends up being a mostly even surface. Don't be afraid to try something new, and if you get stuck or have questions there's always Youtube. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment